This is a blog by a student taking a module on professional communication. As much as I would like to write with an informal setting, to facilitate my training on communicating in a professional manner, I have decided to write my posts with a degree of formality.
The decision to write in a formal manner demonstrates the importance of developing effective communication skills in human society. Man is a social animal that has evolved to survive through the formation of tightly knit social units. Through communicating with each other, prehistoric men were able to hunt down large prey using the most primitive of weapons. This is because communicating with one another allows for people to coordinate with each other and work together to conquer otherwise insurmountable tasks. It is this ability to work in a coordinated group that has allowed Man to dominate our planet even though we are not the most physically viable of all animal species.
In this modern age, the role of communication in a person’s life has not decreased one bit. In order to achieve a successful and wholesome life, a person must develop skills that enable him to communicate well with people. The ability to communicate well with people opens up a channel rich in opportunities to obtain resources such as information, finances and even more contacts.
Interestingly, a person’s level of emotional intelligence is an important factor in determining how well one can communicate with others and a person’s ability to communicate with others greatly affects a person’s emotional health. Introverted people often experience problems such as low self esteem and low self confidence. Conversely, people who are poor communicators often find it hard to maintain good relationships with people. For example, parents who have difficulty expressing affection for their children often cause their children to grow up emotionally impaired, thinking that their parents don’t love them. Many conflicts and misunderstandings often stem from miscommunication between people.
Personally, I have learnt about the importance of communicating well with people in maintaining good relations with people. Through heart wrenching conflicts where good friends have been lost and countless hours of self reflection, I have learnt the value of respect for people. Experience has taught me to pay attention to the emotional state of people and to be wise in my choice of words and tone of speech when speaking to people. Ultimately, it is the quality of the relationships that I have with my family and friends that determine the degree of happiness and fulfillment that I find in life; and this is only possible through the development of effective communication skills.
4 comments:
Hi,
It is a very interesting blog you wrote there. The points that you mentioned are also very relevant in many parts of our live. I with you that we human that, though not the strongest or biggest living things around but we are at the top of the food chain; mainly is due to evolution and that allows us, human, to be able to communicate more effectively with each other compared to other mammals. Be it in the past, where our ancestors have to communicate for survival or present, where we communicate to maintain relationship in working or personal live, effective communication has brought us many benefits and advancements.
Susanto
This is a very fine discussion, Jeremy. I like the manner in which your ideas unfold, the way they fit neatly together, and the insights that present and the conclusion that you develop.
I do have one question about this statement: "It is this ability to work in a coordinated group that has allowed Man to dominate our planet...."
Dominate? No doubt. But doesn't it seem that, for all our skills, we have missed something vital? isn't our exploitative way nearly becoming the end of us?
Here we have reached a point where perhaps more than ever we need to reassess our strengths and weaknesses, and pull together as a team to right the huge wrongs that we have inflicted not just on the earth, our home, but on ourselves. How can more effective communication skills help us do that? For happiness and fulfillment....
Hey Jeremy!
Love the way you started by providing a peek into the past. You managed to pique my interest from the get go!
I can relate to the section on how important emotional intelligence is in "determining how well one can communicate with others". I'm, at times, guilty of not having enough EQ, and the difference in terms of communication is vast! However, I feel that people with poor communication skills can still establish, and maintain, good relations with people. I've a friend who's got major communication problems in terms of EQ, but she's got a group of real good friends! And I think it's more than just tolerance on her friends' part. It could be a case of birds of a feather flocking together, but who's to say...
hi
you have really given an interesting information which is really useful for everyone and i also want to add that without effective communication skills one can't survive or compeete in this competetive environment where everyone want's to be ahead of other . so it was good to read it
Deepak
Post a Comment