Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Mind of the Bully

Almost all of us have been the victim of a bully at one point of our lives or another. Be it physical or verbal bullying, make no mistake, the bully only has ill-will for you. His actions are malicious in nature and are meant to harm you. He dervies pleasure from hurting you. Sometimes, the victim doesn't even know that he is being bullied and often doesn't know how to defend himself against these attacks.

This post aims to analyse how the bully picks his victim and how he attacks him, as well as how the victim reacts and the results of his reactions.

I believe the way a person dresses and acts has a great influence on his vulnerability to being bullied. A person who dresses in a "geekish" manner appears to be physically weak and unable to defend himself against physical attacks. Similarly, a person who is timid is unlikely to even retaliate when attacks. Bullies often look out for traits such as these in their victim as they are signs that the person is not physically or psychologically strong enough to withstand their abuse.

The bully will also act and dress in a way that reinforces his or her position of the aggressor. Jocks threaten to beat anybody up who dares to mess with them. The obnoxious woman who always insults other people's dressing never fails to be one of the most trendy people in the room. All this is done in a bid to make sure that they are superior to the victim in the areas where they are attacking them.

Lastly, when a victim submissively tolerates the bully's abuse, he is actually telling the bully that he can continue his attacks, that he can get away with his actions. Conversely, if the victim stands up for himself and retaliates (regardless of the manner), he sends the message that he will not condone the bully's behaviour and is capable of defending himself and even attacking back if the need arises.

In conclusion, I believe that most bullying cases can be prevented if the victim portrays a better image and takes appropriate countermeasures when attacked. So stand up for yourselves people!

3 comments:

Gwen said...

Hi, I think this post is very interesting. I think it touches the bottom of the heart of many bullies.

I agree with the point you made about how one dresses reflect the vulnerability of one self. The description for the “geekish” wear is cool.

However, is this blog post for assignment 2? Maybe I misread your post, but i could not find the question to be answered. Correct me if i am wrong :)

Gwen

Woody said...

Hi I'm sorry to have confused you. The previous post was written to set the grounds for my answer to the question. I'm sorry I tend to analyse the general situation too much and fail to go into the details!

Gwen said...

Haha! Oh! I was thinking where the problem is! But this post is rather interesting anyway!

Gwen